05 February 2008

Sheldon Brown, RIP


I have just learned, via Bike Snob NYC, that Sheldon Brown is dead. I can't believe it! I really can't believe it. I never met the guy but, like virtually anyone who takes even a casual interest in cycling, I feel like I know him. Or I could have known him. Or I should have known him. Something like that.

In addition to being "the" source for all things technical/mechanical, he built a ridiculous, yet fabulous collection of bicycles that have to be seen to be believed. I mean the guy built his own tandems for chrissakes.

I feel a few genuine tears welling up thinking about him being gone. . .

RIP Sheldon, I'll always be indebted to you for all the humor-infused mechanical knowledge you passed on. The short list is my knees don't hurt, I don't get saddle sores, I have the correct reach brakes, got the right BB for my 80's Moser, don't worry about stripping a cog on my track bike, calculate gear inches, finally understood the relationship between "rake" and "trail" (which is counter-intuitive) and learned more about a Sturmey-Archer three speed hub than I thought I wanted to know. . .

Memorial page/blog here.

No comments: